Register as a Dr Toolbox editor; Not only will you help your colleagues, but you will also be taking part in a national quality improvement project and if you complete a few simple steps also get a certificate for your portfolio at the end of the year.
Editors shape the content of the Toolbox at their trust which directly helps their colleagues and plays an important role in improving patient safety. Editors are responsible for keeping information relevant and up-to-date. By listening to what other readers need, they can add in new information or sections for their Toolbox specific for their hospital.
Being a good editor takes responsibility and time. However participation allows you to take part in a national Quality Improvement Project and opportunities exist to build research and leadership skills. We are also continuously improving the site, please get in touch with your feedback or if you would be interested in a role shaping the future of Dr Toolbox.
- See also Documents.
To start a new site at your hospital please get in touch
Many hospitals around the country have made big improvements with their local induction and your hospital could be the next. We have recently created a major overhaul of or website and app and have moved beyond the old unsupported version of Dr Toolbox to a new version with additional features and back end support. New hospitals have a subscription which pays for the software updates, data backups, and general support that is expected with Digital Innovations in the NHS.
The team you will need
The team is usually composed of:
- Lead Editors; ideally this is normally two FY1's or FY2's but any clinicians can do this role.
- A Toolbox Champion this is a senior clinician who will support the project at your hospital. If your hospital doesn't have one already approach a supportive Consultant. This is very important as they can provide mentoring, support and ensure continuing success when you change hospital.
- A manager. It's also really useful to have someone in the postgraduate medical education department to help ensure Dr Toolbox is included in induction and that new Lead Editors are allocated in August.
- Once signed in as an editor you will see the edit button by each section, you can also create new pages using the link at the bottom.
- Just write the text, save and the website and app will be updated.
- You can also copy and past from word documents, pdfs and webpages although please ensure you are the content owner or have permission to do this.
- The site is organised in a tree like hierarchy. Every page has a parent page. If a page is a 'child' of homepage it will automatically appear in the sidebar of the website and app. You can change the 'parent' of a page by using the dropdown at the bottom of the edit window.
- When you click edit you will see the edit toolbox. We have kept this as simple as possible to make it as easy to use as possible.
- Use the first two buttons to make text bold or “italic“.
- The next button is the add weblink. NB To embed a video in the page just add a link to its address at Youtube™
- The paper clip allows you to upload files, although make sure you have permission, also try and avoid uploading documents which are available elsewhere as if they are updated, they will need to be changed in two places. It is better to link to a document generally if it is already downloadable elsewhere.
- The next two icons allow you to mark numbers as telephone numbers and bleep numbers. This has the added benefit in allowing you to click to call numbers when people are using the app on a phone. See using telephones below!
- Remember no passwords, no patient information and nothing personal or offensive, and no critical information that could lead to mistakes if protocols changed. If you wish to implement guidelines via Dr Toolbox please liaise with the team, as this needs to be done with the rigorous support of a Clinical Guideline Committee. Please read our Conditions of Use.
- We strongly encourage all pages are reviewed once a year. To make this easier for you we have created a 'Review' page which shows all the pages you have and when they were last reviewed. Readers can also see when a page was last edited and last reviewed and we encourage them to use their judgement when using information as all processes within a hospital change over time.
- Lead editors will also be emailed reminders of pages which need reviewing. It is a requirement that all pages are reviewed for lead editors to receive a certificate at the end of the year.
General Guide for implementing your Toolbox
The implementation should follow these points:
- Assigning roles.
- Baseline Survey.
- Collate general information.
- Collate survival guides.
- Liaise with senior consultants and IT for hyperlink on Intranet.
- Launch and advertising to peers.
- Resurvey following introduction.
- This site is to make your life easier and helping your colleagues and making everything run smoother. Any time you learn something and think "I wish I knew that from induction" write it down and add it to the site to share it with your colleagues and successors.
- Find the tacit knowledge in your cohort of junior doctors. It is incredible how much you will have learned by the end of just the first year about how to be awesome at the job so share it!
- Record the best bits from hospital induction and build on them.
- Ask your colleagues and people in the multidisciplinary team how you could be even better at the job.
- Implementing a Toolbox in your Trust can form part of your own Quality Improvement project. See here for a more comprehensive implementation guide to follow.
- See also Documents.
- Please visit our help centre for lots of useful information.
- Also please remember to hand over in August - if the new intake don't know about the site, it cant help them. And if no-one is allocated to take over as 'Lead Editor' and update the content the site will fade away.
- Certificates are awarded in July to Lead Editors who have created or maintained a Dr Toolbox site for an academic year.
- This usually required an input through the year of 1-2 hours a fortnight.
To be awarded a certificate we usually request as a minimum to ensure the success of your site:
- That all the pages of your site at have been reviewed at least once that year
- That your have emailed your colleagues to let them know about your site
- You have arranged for Dr Toolbox to be included in induction
- You have found someone to continue your work for the following year
We will try and be proactive about certificates but if you feel you are due one please email us and let us know your contribution to email@example.com
Administration and Statistics
- If you are doing a quality improvement project or just want to keep track of how many people are using your site please visit our statistics page. Click Here