What is Dr Toolbox
Dr Toolbox is an award winning UK based website set up and run by clinicians. Its purpose is to be a collaborative local knowledge resource. The site helps clinicians in training retain local knowledge and pass it onto their successors, improving efficiency and improving patient safety. It is updated and regulated by local Editors who review information and ensure it remains updated. Contributors and users should be aware that information contained on the site is continually reviewed and subject to change.
Who creates a local site
If you are interested in setting a site up for your hospital please get in touch. The site is then maintained by a team at your hospital usually comprised of:
- A Lead Editor, usually a trainee, to co-ordinate the collection of survival guides and other information
- A Local Administrator, who is a permanent member of staff to authorise editors and ensure the project continues when the Lead Editors change hospital
- A Toolbox Champion, usually a senior clinician who will be able to support you in your role. They will help to be an advocate for the project, provide overall governance and help ensure continuity when Lead Editors move on.
Visit our Help Centre for more information
- Survival guides for Specialty firms
- Bleeps and Extension numbers
- How to make speciality referrals
- How to request specific investigations
- A resource for teaching and post graduate medical education
It is a website and app
- Password protected
- Easily updatable via the website interface
- Specific to junior doctors working at their individual hospitals
- Available from the hospital intranet, a home computer or a mobile phone
- Simple to set up for NHS trusts
Only validated clinicians will have access to review and edit. Note it is:
- Not for patient information
- Not for sensitive information (e.g. passwords)
Dr Will Barker. Co-Founder and Joint Lead
Will graduated in medicine from St. Georges, University of London in 2011. As a junior doctor in South London he developed a passion for patient safety. He is currently also works as a GP in South West London and is an NHS Clinical Entrepreneur.
Dr James Houston. Co-Founder and Joint Lead
James has a previous degree in Engineering, Economics and Management prior to studying Medicine
He is currently a Trauma and Orthopaedic Registrar within South West London, and maintains a keen interest in the role modern technology can play in medical education and patient safety.
Other Toolbox Team Members
Dr Ed Mew. Anaesthetic Trainee in Severn.
Dr Imran Qureshi. Patient Safety Lead. BMJ Clinical Adviser for Quality & Safety. Microbiology Consultant London